Answers to the Frequently Asked Questions
Backyard Camping FAQs
Q: What are some fire safety tips for kids?
A: There are many things to consider when keeping kids safe around fires when you are camping. Here are some to keep in mind:
1. Fire safety for kids should always include a well-planned escape route and meeting place.
2. Fire safety for kids involves having a fire extinguisher and gloves on hand when adults use fire pits
3. Don’t allow children too close to the fire pit and never leave it unattended – another fire safety for kids tip for adults to keep in mind.
4. Fire safety for kids when using a fire pit is for adults to remember not to place the pit in an enclosed area or around hanging branches or unsteady surfaces.
5. Adults - start your fire pit fire small and never with gasoline – a very important fire safety for kids tip.
6. Fire safety for kids tips include – adults should never use a fire pit when it’s windy. Also keep a screen nearby if the sparks get out of control.
7. Adults - make sure to extinguish your fire pit fire completely before walking away – the most important fire safety for kids tip.
Backyard Entertaining - FAQs about Grilling Out
Q: What is the simplest grilling out recipe?
A: Probably hot dogs, but chicken and steak are also popular and most often require little time and effort.
Q: How long should I marinade meat before grilling out?
A: It depends on the meat and the marinade, but generally, the longer the better, and preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
Q: What is a good dessert for grilling out?
A: S’mores of course! Get the recipe here.
Q: I’d like to try grilling out but don’t have a barbeque?
A: Fire pits or rings are a perfect alternative and make grilling out very convenient.
Q: What tools are recommended when grilling out?
A: Long metal forks with an easy-to-grip handle.
Q: What’s the best fuel for grilling out?
A: Wood, charcoal, or propane if your grill requires it.
Q: Will oil burn if used when grilling out?
A: Not if you lightly brush it on the grill before grilling out. It might flare up if you wait until the fire is already going.
Q: Is there a “green” way to clean your grill after grilling out?
A: When cool, scrape off excess food left behind, and scrub gently with a little olive oil.
Q: What’s the best way to start a fire for grilling out?
A: Place sand on the bottom so it won’t burn through your fire pit. Use newspaper or seasoned wood to begin the fire. Add wood as the fire continues to burn.
Eco-Fun - Environmentally Friendly FAQs
Q: How can we make sure our gardens are environmentally friendly?
A: The best way is to plant indigenous species and not to use unnecessary pesticides or herbicides – utilize fence borders as well to keep out pests.
Q: How can I have an environmentally friendly garden that attracts birds
and other creatures?
A: Invest in some good quality bird feeders and accessories.
Q: Is there really such a thing as environmentally friendly planters?
A: Yes, especially ones lined with biodegradable coco.
Q: I’m starting a vegetable garden to become more environmentally
friendly – what plants should I begin with?
A: Tomato plants are easy to grow – just make sure you have a solid staking system in place. Bamboo stakes used for vine-type plants are also environmentally friendly.
Q: What environmentally friendly plant accessories are available?
A: Cork is biodegradable and comes from the bark of the evergreen oak tree – use cork mats under potted plants to prevent water damage to surfaces.
Q: I’m sick and tired of the deer that come into my garden but want
to be environmentally friendly. Have you got any ideas?
A: There’s a great electronic deer repellant on the market that renders a harmless shock.
Q: Are there environmentally friendly solar powered electric fences?
A: Indeed there are. Have a look at the Havahart® electric fence kit.
Q: Moles are a big problem. How can I be environmentally friendly
towards these critters?
A: There are quite a few environmentally friendly mole repellents you can try.
Your one stop resource for a beautiful outdoor living space. Find CobraCo® flower planters, plant stands, fire pits and more! We have everything you need to decorate your patio, yard, porch, deck and garden.