In an effort to improve your shopping experience, our web store is currently under construction. Please feel free to browse our website and we look forward to resuming our web store sales and service coming soon. Thank you for your patience.
Although beautiful and beneficial due to their air purification qualities, houseplants can create problematic side effects when improperly handled by your kids and pets. Popular houseplants, and the risks associated with keeping these plants in your home, have been listed below for your reference.
Can't See The Image?
Read the Poisonous Houseplants Content Here »
Philodendron scandens oxycardium
- Ingestion of this Philodendron can cause painful swelling and burning of the lips, mouth, throat and tongue, while contact with your skin can cause painful reddening and inflammation.
- Chewing on the Flamingo Lily will cause painful irritation of the mouth and throat due to its poison, calcium oxalate.
- Calcium oxalate will cause severe irritation to the mouth, throat and gastro-intestinal tract.
- The roots of the Kaffir Lily contain lycorine, which if ingested, is toxic.
- The plant's juices, known as the latex, can cause eczema after repeated exposure, while chewing on the bark and roots cause the mouth to burn.
- This indoor and outdoor vine's leaves contain three compounds, which if ingested, can cause difficult breathing, vomiting, convulsions, paralysis, and coma.
- Digestive upset occurs if large quantities of the plant's bulb are ingested.
- Ingesting the bulbs or rhizomes of the Cyclamen will cause vomiting.
- The extracts from the Ceramin can cause blistering, hoarseness, irritation, and immediate and painful loss of voice.
- This highly poisonous flower contains alkaloids that are extremely poisonous and fatal for humans and animals.
- Chewing on any part of Dumb Cane can result in immediate and painful swelling of the mouth and throat, and can cause a speech impediment that will last up to a few days.
- Ingesting the 5-deoxyingenol in the latex of this plant will cause blistering and irritation of the mouth, abdominal pains and vomiting.
- Although the poisonous compound of the Poinsettia is unknown, ingesting the leaves, stems, or latex can cause contact dermatitis or vomiting.
Hide Poisonous Houseplants Content »
Click to Enlarge ImageDownload PDF Version »