Whoopie Pies trace their origins to the Amish residents of Lancaster County, Pa. According to local legend, the Amish wives made them secretly to add to their husbands’ lunch pails. When the farmers opened them up at noontime, they yelled “Whoopie!”
Since that time, the Whoopie Pie has become a favorite on-the-go dessert, and this recipe for a Pumpkin Whoopie Pie is a great addition to the Whoopie Pie legacy.
Pumpkin Whoopie Pie Ingredients
For the Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon cloves (ground)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Filling
- 2 cups 10X confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Pumpkin Whoopie Pie Preparation
First, preheat your oven to 350°F. Next prepare the cookies and filling seperately.
- How to Make the Cookies: Combine the oil and brown sugar in a mixing bowl, add the pumpkin and eggs until they are all mixed into a thick paste. Add the rest of the ingredients and combine until thick and doughy. On a lightly greased baking sheet, drop large teaspoon-sized amounts of dough at even spacing throughout the pan. Bake the cookies at 350°F for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the cookies are firm.
- How to Make the Filling: Thoroughly combine egg white, milk, and vanilla in a new bowl with half of the confectioners sugar. Then add the shortening and the remaining confectioners sugar. Mix until the filling is smooth and fluffy.
Once the cookies have sufficiently cooled, spread an equal amount of filling between two cookies to form the whoopie pie.
Yields: approx. three dozen whoopie pies
Making the Perfect Whoopie Pie
Did you enjoy this Pumpkin Whoopie Pie? Let us know in the comments below!
Do you have your own Whoopie Pie variation? Reach out to us by posting your recipe on our Facebook wall. We’ll help you share it with the world!
If you like articles like this, be sure to also connect with us by subscribing to our E-Newsletter, which also contains exclusive sales and other great offers from Avant Garden Decor.