There are tons of options for filling your hanging baskets, whether it is herbs, or grasses, or flowers. The most common types of plants that are used in hanging basket gardens are flowers and vines, as they are well liked by most people are generally easy to care for.
You may plant a basket with one type of flower, one color scheme, or a variety of both. The floral you choose will make a difference in the look of the basket and overall feel of the décor. Combining a mixture of heights and brights will add interest to your hanging basket and make it a work of art. Some flowers to consider including are:
• Waterfall Blue (Lobelia) – a gorgeous purple-blue flower that overflows elegantly
• Marigold (Tagetes ‘Lemon Gem’) – this flower’s bright yellow hue will attract the eye, and butterflies!
• Bacopa (Sutera ‘Snowstorm’) – a heavenly pale pink/white flowing plant that will reach towards the ground as it grows
• Wax begonia (Begonia ‘Prelude Red’) – red flowers against bright green leaves provide a brilliant color contrast and unexpected fiery pop
Generally we appreciate that plants grow towards the sky, but there are some that grow out, or down. Vines are fun to grow, but can be problematic when placed in a garden where they take over the flowerbed. Hanging baskets are the perfect solution as they allow vines to grow down and create a gorgeous hanging canopy of flowers and foliage. A few vines to try include:
• Ivy (Hedera helix) – This dark green leafy vine is a staple in many hanging baskets
• Sweet potato vine (Ipomoea batatas ‘Margarita’) – A bright green, large leafed vine that will brighten up your hanging basket
• Licorice plant (Helichrysum petiolare ‘Limelight’) – Tiny lime green colored leaves will grow on vines that curve down and back up
• Vinca ‘Variegata’ – A twiggy, sparsely leafed vine will create texture
If you’re a beginner to hanging baskets it will be wise to try a hanging vine and flower design. The easy care options, and easy to design abilities they possess, will help you understand how hanging baskets work. After heading to our Hanging Basket Shop head to your local garden center to stock up on plants that will burst with color and hang with style!