Herbed Macaroni and Cheese Ingredients
- 1 pound macaroni (regular or whole grain)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- About 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chives, cut into small bits
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided
Herbed Macaroni and Cheese Preparation
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Bring the water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and undercook the pasta by 2 minutes, about 5-6 minutes.
Over medium heat in the same pot, melt the butter, then add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Add in the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Whisk in the whole milk and season with salt, pepper, and sage. When thickened, stir in the Dijon mustard and two-thirds of the combined cheeses. Next add in the basil, chives, and thyme.
Drain the pasta and transfer to a glass baking dish (9×13). Add the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Top with the remaining cheese
Bake until brown on a baking sheet to catch the bubble-over. The casserole will take 35-40 minutes to heat through.
Yields: approx. 4 servings
Did you enjoy your Herbed Macaroni and Cheese? Let us know in the comments below! Do you have a favorite Macaroni and Cheese recipe? Tell us about it!