The editors at Love Your Yard picked this amazing Macaroni and Cheese recipe for two reasons. First off, it tastes absolutely fantastic. Secondly, it features a whole host of ingredients that you can grow at home: Garlic, basil, chives, and thyme. In fact, basil, chives, and thyme can grow in a simple planter in your kitchen.
(Of course some of our readers may be making even more of the ingredients. If you’re a dairy farmer, there’s a good chance you have whole milk, butter, and cheese readily available too.)
Mac n’ Cheese is a traditional comfort food here in America, and there are plenty of recipes for it. This one, however, definitely has a unique taste to it thanks to all the herbs involved. Of course, the Dijon mustard helps, too!
So, give this tasty recipe a try. We know you’ll love it!
Herbed Macaroni and Cheese Ingredients
- 1 pound macaroni (regular or whole grain)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- About 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chives, cut into small bits
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided
Herbed Macaroni and Cheese Preparation
Like any macaroni and cheese, the preparation time is on the long side but it’s totally worth it for the savory reward at the end.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Bring the water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and undercook the pasta by 2 minutes, about 5-6 minutes.
- Over medium heat in the same pot, melt the butter, then add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Add in the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Whisk in the whole milk and season with salt, pepper, and sage. When thickened, stir in the Dijon mustard and two-thirds of the combined cheeses. Next add in the basil, chives, and thyme.
- Drain the pasta and transfer to a glass baking dish (9×13). Add the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Top with the remaining cheese
- Bake until brown on a baking sheet to catch the bubble-over. The casserole will take 35-40 minutes to heat through.
- Serve immediately.
- Yields: approx. 4 servings
Does This Mac n’ Cheese Compare?
Did you enjoy your Herbed Macaroni and Cheese? More importantly, did your kids like it or do they prefer the boxed mac n’ cheese? Let us know in the comments below!
Do you have a favorite Macaroni and Cheese recipe of your own? Tell us about it on our Facebook page and we’ll share it with the world!
Looking for more articles and ideas? Sign up to get our E-Newsletter for all that — plus great deals from Avant Garden Decor!